I often make platters at home for dinner for my family. I find that they are very exciting for both my husband and kids as it is an opportunity for them to enjoy a bunch of different snack items.
I had seen this recipe done a couple of times on TV and always knew that it was something I would want to try out. So, when I found phyllo pastry at Spar at the Grove mall, I knew I had to grab some Camembert cheese as well.
This recipe is super easy, comes together in no time at all and is very delicious. It will satisfy both your sweet and savory tooth.
How you can personalize this recipe:
1. You can use a different type of cheese such as brie or even cream cheese.
2. You can use a different type such as cranberry, sweet chili or even jam.
3. You can snip off the extra dough at the top after you have squeezed the tops together for a cleaner look. I will do this next time.
4. You don't have to serve it on a platter. It will work great as a starter on some greens dressed with an olive oil and balsamic vinegar vinaigrette.
4 sheets of phyllo pastry, cut in half
1/4 cup melted butter
1 round of Camembert cheese, cut into quarters
Ingredients for the blueberry compote:
1/2 cup frozen blueberries (fresh will also work)
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp honey
Pinch of salt
Method for blueberry compote:
1. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add all the ingredients of the compote together and stir.
2. As the compote starts to bubble up, smash the blueberries with a wooden spoon.
3. Cook for a few more minutes until the compote slightly thickens. Let cool.
Method of assembling:
1. Preheat the oven to 180deg.
2. Place 1 half of the phyllo pastry on a clean flat surface such as a counter top and lightly brush with butter.
3. Place another sheet of phyllo pastry over the other and brush with butter, as shown in the picture below.
4. Add a piece of cheese to the center of the phyllo followed by a 1 tablespoon of the compote.
5. Fold up the corners and edges of the pastry around the filling and tightly squeeze the top.
6. Place on a very lightly oiled oven tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are golden and crispy.
7. Serve warm.