Happy new year everyone and welcome back to my blog! I know we are in February already, but I cannot introduce the first recipe on the blog in 2020 without well wishes, right?
It has been a very long time since I last posted on the blog. Many of you know by now that we have a brand new addition to the Kanana clan, our little baby boy Oletu, who was born on the 3rd of November last year. Him, along with some minor complications during and after pregnancy has been what has kept me off the blog for a while. But, here I am, back with a bang, ready to give you many more new and exciting recipes this year, starting with this very easy burger bun recipe.
These buns are soft and fluffy and definitely better than the ones we get in the grocery stores, which tend to be very soggy almost all of the time. This recipe, although a bit time consuming (total rising time is 2 hours), is foolproof. I can guarantee that it will come out perfect every time, it's that easy. Kneading time is only 3-5 minutes in a stand mixer and about 8 minutes by hand, so you have no excuse not to try this recipe.
So, if you have time on a Saturday afternoon and you have time to play chef, please do try this recipe. Your family will be very impressed and trust me, you will never want to buy burger buns again.
As always, I'd love to see how your buns turn out so please tag me on my Instagram when you make them. Happy cooking everyone, cheers.
3.5 cups of white bread flour
1 cup warm water
1 packet dry yeast
1 large egg
3 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
For the topping:
1 egg mixed with 1/4 cup milk (egg wash)
Mixed sesame seeds
Tools you need:
Stand mixer with dough hook attachment
Large baking tray covered with parchment paper
1. To your stand mixer bowl, add the warm water, 1/2 cup flour and the dry yeast and mix together well with a whisk. Let this mixer stand for 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes, and when the mixture has become foamy, add sugar and butter and mix it together. Add flour and knead with the dough hook attachment on for about 3-5 minutes or until the dough just about comes together.
3. Remove the dough from the bowl, rub the bottom with oil and place the dough back into bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let it rise for an hour.
4. After 1 hour, remove the dough onto a cleaned floured surface and roughly shape into a rectangle.
5. Cut out 8-10 equal pieces, shape into a balls and place them onto a parchment covered baking tray, or in my case, onto a floured baking tray. Cover them with a kitchen towel and let them rise for another 1 hour.
6. Preheat your oven to 190 degrees celsius. After the buns have risen, brush them with the egg wash using a pastry brush. Be careful not to deflate them as this will result in flat buns. Sprinkle them with the sesame seeds and bake them in the center of the oven for 8-12 minutes or until the tops are a light golden brown.
7. Remove them from the oven and let them cool.
8. Make the best burgers you have ever made because you made deez buns and enjoy.