Updated: Jul 31, 2019
I was recently blessed with an amazing opportunity to work with Bakpro Namibia. I have to create 3 unique recipes using their products and for the first recipe, I decided to make a Spanish street snack I could only dream of, Churros.
Churros are a fried choux pastry based snack, which makes them light and crunchy. I have seen so many pictures of it on social media and it was always something I knew I wanted to make. I was also always curious about working with choux pastry from watching too many food channels growing up. The perfect opportunity presented itself on Sunday morning when i decided to give it try. It turned out to be such a huge success that my kids ate it them all up in a matter of seconds.
The recipe only calls for a handful of ingredients which means it is very simple and easy to follow. I would however advice that you use an electric mixer once you reach step 4, unless you don't mind the bonus arm workout from the mixing.
Equipment you will need:
1. A medium sized sauce pan
2. Wooden spoon
3. Frying pan
4. Spider or slotted spoon
5. Paper towel lined try
6. Piping bag with a star tip
7. Kitchen scissor or blunt knife
As always, please try out this recipe and let me know what you think by tagging me on my Instagram account.
1 cup Bakpro White Bread flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp sugar
3 medium sized eggs or 2 large
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp caramel essence (or vanilla if you prefer)
1l oil for frying
Cinnamon Sugar (mix 1/2 cup of sugar with 3 tbsp ground cinnamon)
1. Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add all your ingredients apart from the flour and eggs.
2. Heat water until it comes to a gentle simmer and the butter is completely melted.
3. Switch off heat and add the flour. Stir quickly to combine well. It will form a very stiff dough.
4. Crack in eggs, one at a time and stir until dough becomes a bit more loose. Stir after adding each egg.
In the meantime, over medium to high heat, heat oil in a frying pan.
5. Fill your piping bag with the dough and squeeze about an 8cm piece of the dough into the hot oil, cutting the end off with a kitchen scissor. Repeat until all the dough is done. Fry until they become golden brown and remove unto a paper towel lined tray.
6. Place the churros into the cinnamon sugar and coat evenly.
7. Serve with your favourite sweet sauce.