I have been putting off making a creamy pasta dish for the longest time. I mostly cook with what I already have at home unless I am hosting, and cream is just not one of those ingredients I buy often. So when Pasta La Vita contacted me for a collaboration, I immediately knew I had to make a creamy pasta dish. The tricky part of the entire dish was trying to figure out what protein to use. I knew I didn't want to use chicken or beef strips, I wanted to use something flavourful on its own, something with character.
I headed to Spar in Grove mall, and after tasting a few of their sausages in the shop, I settled for a one called "Schweinswurst Polnische". It was the perfect addition to my dish.
The idea of including cherry tomatoes in the dish was the "brainchild" of my genius husband. He described it as "something that will burst (literally) with flavour in your mouth once you bite into it", and oh boy, was he correct. I did have to deal with hearing him brag about how adding the tomatoes was his idea for the next couple of days though.
All in all, this dish is super simple to make and can be personalized to however you prefer, by adding and omitting ingredients you may or may not like.
1. Use bacon to replace to sausage, it will be delicious.
2. Season your sauce with salt only after you have added the cheese. The cheese and sausage are already quite salty so if you season at the wrong time, the dish might end up being too salty.
3. You can use any pasta type of your preference. I can see how spaghetti or even fusilli will work great.
4. Make sure to serve the dish immediately. If you let it sit, it will unfortunately become a bit dry. In the case of this happening, you can add a bit of cream while the pot is on low heat and cook it for a few minutes.
As always, please do try out this recipe and let me know what you think by tagging me on my Instagram.
Happy new week and happy cooking.
1x 500g Pasta La Vita tagliatelle pack
250ml fresh cream
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
100g cherry tomatoes
1/2 Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, finely grated and some strips for garnish
1tsp chili flakes
Salt and Black pepper to taste
1. Cook your Pasta La Vie Tagliatelle pasta according to the package description.
2. While your pasta is cooking, heat oil in a pan over medium heat and fry your onions and sausages until onions are soft and the sausages have released some of its oil. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms have become soft. Add black pepper and chilli flakes.
3. Next, add the cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook them just until they start to blister. Pour in cream, followed by the parmigiano reggiano cheese and stir until the cheese and cream form a thick, smooth sauce.
4. Add pasta as well as 1 cup of the pasta water to the sauce and stir through properly to ensure that each of the pasta strands are coated with the sauce. Plate up immediately, garnish with your favourite herbs, a lemon wedge and a a few shavings of the cheese.