Pies are some of the easiest things one can ever cook. As long as your filling is right, you are guaranteed it will turn out amazing. I mean, who doesn't like golden and crispy baked puff pastry wrapped around a delicious filling. I certainly do. But the ones you buy in the shops and most service stations almost always have an excessive amount of sauce, without the actual meatiness as promised by the name. It is also quite salty, and sometimes soggy at the bottom. They are an easy snack to grab when you are out and feeling hungry, but they are definitely not a great dinner or lunch option, especially when feeding a spouse and kids.
So if you are in the mood for a casual dinner, how about you make this very easy mince pie, which only requires a handful of ingredients, most of which I am sure you already have at home? Your family will appreciate the break away from what you normally cook, and you will be your kids new favourite chef. Or, you could make this entire pie for yourself, pop it into the freezer and reheat every time you need a quick meal. Pair this pie with some homemade fries and a quick green salad and you have a complete meal.
Anyway, I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know how you find it.
600g beef mince
2 sheets store bought puff pastry, completely thawed
2-3 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili flakes
1/2 cup grated cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley & basil
Salt & black pepper to taste
1/4 cup milk
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium high heat and fry your onions until soft. Add garlic and fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
2. Add mince and fry until most of the blood is cooked out. Season and cook out the spices for about 3 minutes or so.
3. Add the tinned tomatoes and the sugar, along with a 1/4 cup of water and let the sauce simmer for 20 minutes on medium heat, until the sauce has reduced down. Let the sauce cool down completely.
1. Preheat oven to 180deg. Once the meat sauce has chilled, place one sheet of puff pastry on a lightly flowered sheet pan. Spread the meat sauce over the puff pastry, ensuring to leave about 1cm of the dough without sauce.
2. Add the cheese evenly over the sauce, followed by the herbs.
3. Place the second sheet of the puff pastry over the filling. Press together the sides of the pastry using a fork and poke holes using a fork, as indicated in the picture below. Brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash before sprinkling on the sesame seeds.
4. Bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until the pie is crispy and golden. Wait for it to cool before cutting it into equal portions.
5. Serve and enjoy.