If you are looking for ways to spice up your red wine, this Gluhwein recipe is definitely for you.
Gluhwein is a hot citrus infused, spiced drink most commonly made from red wine and mulling spices such as cloves, cardamom and star anise. Gluhwein is served hot which makes it a perfect drink for winter.
This recipe is so easy and uncomplicated and literally takes a few steps and ingredients to come together. You will be enjoying it in less than 20 minutes from start. I hope you enjoy making and drinking this and please tag me on my Instagram page if you do.
Happy drinking. Keep warm.
1 Full bottle (750ml) of dry red wine
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
2 oranges (one slices and one juiced)
1 Lemon (half sliced and half juiced)
Zest of 1 full orange and 1 lemon
6 Star anise
8 Green cardamom pods
2 Cinnamon quills
1/2 Teaspoon of vanilla (or 2 de-seeded vanilla beans if you are lucky to find any)
1. Place all ingredients apart from the wine in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil and turn the heat to low. Let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes until it becomes thick.
4. Add the wine and let it simmer until you see small foamy bubbles starting to form on the top.
5. Remove all the lemon slices to avoid the drink going too acidic.
6. Serve hot with an extra slice of orange, a cinnamon stick and a star anise. Enjoy