Updated: Mar 3, 2019
I remember hating gem squash growing up. My grandma would boil them, cut them open and serve them with sugar and butter on the inside and I never liked them that way. It was a few years ago when i decided to try to make them differently. That time I boiled some mixed veggies, stuffed them inside the gem squash, topped it with cheese and baked them in the oven. Even then i did not like how it turned out. So a few days ago, while shopping for ingredients to cook for my guests, this idea of stuffing the gem squash with creamed spinach came to me. Let me just say, it was a hit.
4-5 Gem Squash
150g baby spinach
2 cups milk
Half an onion, finely diced.
1/4 cup cheddar cheese (additional 1/3 cup for topping) (I use this one)
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the gem squash until most (or all) of them pop open. This way you know they have cooked through on the inside.
2. Let them cool and cut them open in half. Scrape out the seeds.
3. Place them in oven proof dish and set aside while you work on the creamed spinach.
4. Fry onions in butter over medium heat until onions are translucent.
5. Add flour and use a whisk to stir for about 2 minutes, until you can no longer smell the raw flour. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
6. Add milk slowly while whisking continuously, making sure to avoid lumps.
7. Turn the heat to low and add spinach, coating them with the sauce until spinach wilts.
8. Add cheese and stir through until melted.
9. Fill the gem squash with creamed spinach, top with cheese and bake in a 2h00deg oven until cheese is golden and crispy.
10. Remove from oven and serve.