Hello fellow foodies, welcome back to my blog. It's been a while since my last post. Things have been hectic since going back to work after maternity leave as I have been slowly readjusting to life as a working mom, wife and overall home maker.
This weeks recipe is one of the easiest, most basic yet very delicious meals you will ever cook, with ingredients that you most probably already have in your fridge and pantry. What makes this dish special is the home made tomato sauce. It has so much body and so much depth of flavour that you won't believe you made it yourself. I did not have fresh herbs at the time I made this dish but feel free to replace the dried mixed herbs with some fresh rosemary and/or thyme to lift the sauce to a different flavour dimension.
This recipe is also customizable. You can switch out the pap with mashed potatoes and the boerewors for mince or meatballs. You can also easily convert this dish to a vegan dish by replacing the boerewors with fried mushrooms, adding other veggies of your choice as well as topping with a dairy free cheese instead.
I urge you all to try this recipe. Feel free to add your own twist to make it your own. Use ingredients that you already have at home in order to avoid going out to the grocery store and maintain social distancing. Let us all keep safe and do what is required of us during this national lock down.
Cheers and happy cooking.
Ingredients for entire dish:
Pap, cooked according to package description
500g-1kg boerewors, grilled
1 cup graded cheddar cheese
Homemade tomato sauce
1 onion, sliced and fried
Ingredients for homemade tomato sauce:
1 Onion diced
2 Cloves of garlic, finely
2-3 Tomatoes, diced
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 cup chicken/vegetable stock or water
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chili flakes
Salt and black pepper to taste
Method for sauce:
1. Fry onions in oil in a large pan over medium heat until soft and add garlic. Cook until garlic does not smell raw anymore, for about 2 minutes
2. Add tomatoes and cook until they become soft. Add tomato paste and spices and cook until everything is well incorporated.
3. Add your stock/water, mix well, turn the heat down to low, cover the pan with a lid and let the sauce simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Constructing the dish:
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Layer the pap evenly in an oven safe dish. Make sure to form creases with a spoon so that the sauce settles in them.
3. Placed the fried onions evenly on the pap, followed by the grilled boerewors.
4. Add the sauce on top of everything , followed by the cheese. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese has completed melted and turned golden brown.
5. Let it cool for a few minutes, serve and enjoy