Updated: Mar 4, 2019
Those of you who know me will know how much I love Indian food, of which flat breads are my favorite. They are delicious and versatile, but the best thing about them is that you eat them with your hands. So, because of my love for them, i occasionally make them at home.
3 cups bread flour (I use this one)
5 or so tbsp of additional flour for sprinkling between layers
1-1.5 cup Water
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup Ghee
1. In a stand mixer, combine flour and salt.
2. With the dough hook attachment on, add egg and water to the flour. Add water slowly until a soft dough forms. Knead for 10 minutes.
3. Let dough rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. Divide dough into 6-8 equal parts and shape them into balls.
5. Flour your surface and roll the balls out into a 15cm diameter circle.
6. Spread 1 tbsp of ghee on the dough and sprinkle with dough until surface is roughly covered.
7. Cut a slit from the center of the dough until the end and fold the dough over itself until you have reached the opposite end of the dough, forming a cone, as demonstrated below.
8. Tuck both ends of the cone shaped dough into each other until you have something that looks like this
9. Clean your surface, oil with ghee and roll the shaped dough out into a another 15cm diameter circle.
10. Fry in a tbsp of ghee in a nonstick pan over medium high heat, regularly turning until both sides are crispy and golden.
11. Wrap paratha's in kitchen towel until all of them are done.
12. Serve with your favorite curry.