Hello fellow lovers of good food. Today I bring you an easy hake stew recipe that goes from preparation to your plate in under 30 minutes. I know hake is a fish that is not typically stewed, but i guarantee that you love this dish, so please do give it a try.
I hope you and your family are still keeping safe, washing your hands and practicing social distancing.
Enjoy the recipe. Cheers!
4-5 fillets of hake, cut in 3's
1/2 onion, sliced
1 small green pepper, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely diced
2 tomatoes, sliced
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
1 cup water
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp spice for fish
1 tbsp of your favourite herbs
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat.
2. Fry your onions until soft and translucent, followed by the sliced peppers and garlic. Cook those until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Place the sliced tomatoes evenly on top of the onions, cover your pan and let the tomatoes cook for about 5 minutes.
4. When the tomatoes have become soft, place the hake chunks on top the tomatoes, skin side down. Season with your spices. Place the butter randomly around the fish and cover the pan for another 5 minutes.
5. Turn the fish chunks skin side up and add your water/stock. Avoid pouring directly on the fish. Let that simmer for another 5 minutes.
NB: if your fish is frozen, use only 1/2 cup water/stock.
6. Turn the fish chunks back skin side down and let it simmer until the sauce has reduced.
7. Squeeze the lemon juice over the fish, garnish with herbs, and enjoy.
This dish is best enjoyed with some pap or fluffy rice with a side salad.